Spring has sprung! The really cold weather should be behind us, and it’s time to enjoy the mild temperatures, beautiful blue skies, and fresh breeze. Of course, spring is also a time for cleaning and maintenance to prepare for the summer ahead.
A well-maintained home is a pleasure to live in – and causes fewer problems, headaches, and insurance claims than one that isn’t. Take a look at our list of spring home maintenance tips to help keep your home running smoothly well into the summer months.
- Schedule your HVAC maintenance. Make sure your air conditioner will work once the weather really heats up.
- Check your air filter, and change it if necessary.
- Inspect your smoke detectors and change the batteries.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils.
- Check your roof for loose shingles and obvious signs of problems.
- Take a look at your chimney, looking for loose sections or cracks.
- Have your chimney cleaned. After using it during the winter, it’s ready for it.
- Clean your gutters, and replace any that are damaged.
- Trim back trees and bushes, especially those near utility lines.
- Repair cracked, broken, or uneven walkways and driveways.
- Check your back patio for broken blocks or loose decking.
- Clean and repair screens on your windows, doors, and around the back patio.
- Repaint your house where the old paint is cracked or peeling.
- Check your lawn equipment by cleaning it and sharpening the blades.
- Talk to your insurance agent about your current coverage and make sure you have the right coverage for your home.
- Seal cracks around your windows, doors, and electrical outlets to keep the air outside where it belongs.
- Clean your outdoor furniture and pull it out of storage.
- Check your outdoor spigots and hoses for damage from the winter weather.
- Repair fencing that’s falling down, loose, or broken.
- Drain your hot water heater to reduce the sediment buildup and save on electricity.
Taking care of your home can feel like a full-time job, but if you tackle these jobs a few at a time, you can get it all done. The result will be a beautiful, well-maintained home that you enjoy for years to come.
When you’re ready to review your current insurance coverage, contact us here at Click Insurance. We’ll make sure you have the right coverage.