College Student Insurance Checklist

During high school, it probably felt like you’d never graduate and go off to college. Now the summer has gone by in a flash, and you’re headed off to a new school. It’s a little scary and very exciting.

You’ve packed your things, shopped with your parents, and tried to spend as much time with your friends as possible. You might think you’ve done all you need to do, but there are a few things you need to think about and plan for before you leave.

Insurance is probably something you let your parents handle, but now that you’re in college, you need to start thinking about it, too. Check out this insurance checklist for college students to make sure you don’t forget any important details.

Auto Insurance

Your parents might continue to pay for your auto insurance while you’re in college, but there are a few things you need to make sure of.

  • Let your auto insurance company know the address where your car will be while you’re in school. Where the car is parked every night matters, and if you’re taking your car with you, the insurance company needs to know.
  • If you’re going to school 100 miles or more from home and leaving your car at home, let the insurance company know. You may qualify for a discount on your insurance.
  • Keep your grades up and you might qualify for a discount. Typically, discounts are given for students aged 16 to 25 with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Personal Property

Living at home, you probably never thought about how your phone, computer, tablet, or television would be replaced if there was a storm or someone broke into your house. The answer is your parent’s homeowner’s insurance. Now it’s something you need to think about, too.

  • If you live on campus, your stuff will be covered by your parent’s home insurance in most cases. The coverage is usually only 10 percent of the total policy limit. That might not be enough to cover what you bring with you.
  • Make a list of all the technology, equipment, and furniture you’re taking with you. Use this list and the value of your clothes, books, and other things to estimate the total value of your personal property. Your parents need this to make sure they have enough insurance coverage for you.
  • If you live off campus, in an apartment or with a family member, you’ll need renter’s insurance. Use the list you would have made for your parents to figure out how much insurance you’ll need. Your insurance agent can help you with this.

You have enough to think about as you head off to college. Take care of your insurance as soon as you can so that you – and your parents – have one less thing to worry about.

If your parents have questions about their homeowner’s policy or you need renter’s insurance, give us a call.